- To regulate the power of a municipality to impose rates on property (in accordance with section 229(2) of the Constitution);
- To provide a uniform framework for regulating the rating of property throughout the country;
- To exclude certain properties from rating in the national interest;
- To make provision for municipalities to implement a transparent and fair system of exemptions, reductions and rebates through rating policies;
- To make provision for fair and equitable valuation methods of properties;
- To make provision for a fair objections and appeal process regarding valuation of property.
For more information and to download the relevant documents visit: The Municipal Property Rates Act