Following the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Department of Cooperative Governance (DCOG) and ICLEI Africa, the Deputy Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA), Mr Andries Nel will on 02 May 2019 attend and officiate its launch.
According to the MOU, the Department of Cooperative Governance (DCOG) and ICLEI Africa will jointly strive for spatial urban transformation and resilient cities, support functional and developmental local government and facilitate the localising of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Agenda 2063 and the New Urban Agenda (NUA).
The objectives of the MOU are as follows:
- Establish a partnership between the Parties on local government support and spatial urban transformation, urban development, institutional development and localising the Sustainable Development Goals;.
- Implementation of the Integrated Urban Development Framework (IUDF) ;
- Localising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through alignment with national policy frameworks such as the National Development Plan (NDP), National Spatial Development Framework (NSDP), IUDF provincial and municipal integrated and spatial plans and reporting to global platforms;
- Piloting and testing IUDF implementation and the localisation and alignment of SDGs;
- Establishment of learning networks; and
- Collaboration on the implementation of projects
Members of the media are invited to attend as follows:
Date : 02 May 2019
Time : 14:30 pm
Venue: CSIR International Convention Centre (Onyx Room), Meiring Naude Road, Brummeria, Pretoria Gauteng
Media confirmations: Abigail Taukobong: 066 4803 937/ 012 336-5756/ Abigailt@cogta.co.za
Cell: 066 479 9904