The COGTA Ministry comprises of the Department of Cooperative Governance and the Department of Traditional Affairs. Key elements and Constitutional foundations of CoGTA’s mandate:
- System of Cooperative Government (Chapter 3 of the Constitution)
- Provinces (Chapter 6 of the Constitution)
- Local Government (Chapter 7 of the Constitution)
- Traditional Leaders (Chapter 12 of the Constitution)
A functional and developmental local government system that delivers on its Constitutional and legislative mandates within a system of cooperative governance
This Vision is in line with the objectives of Chapter 13 of the National Development Plan: ‘Building a capable and developmental State’
Our mission is to ensure that all municipalities perform their basic responsibilities and functions consistently by:
- Putting people and their concerns first;
- Supporting the delivery of municipal services to the right quality and standard;
- Promoting good governance, transparency and accountability;
- Ensuring sound financial management and accounting; and
- Building institutional resilience and administrative capability.
This mission is directly adopted from the 5 Pillars of the Back to Basics Campaign.
Guided by the spirit of Batho Pele, our values are:
- Commitment to public service.
- Integrity and dedication to fighting corruption.
- A hands-on approach to dealing with local challenges.
- Public participation and people centered approach.
- Professionalism and goal orientation.
- Passion to serve.
- Excellence and accountability.
Adherence to these values will contribute towards the required state of Local Government.
Tel: 012 334 0600